COACHING WITHIN VYI
All volunteer coaches within VYI serve at the discretion of the League Commissioner for that sport. In some sports, commissioners select coaches on their own, while in others a Coach Committee is formed to help the commissioner select coaches. VYI requires that each sport have an application process whereby it collects certain information from each coach applicant to include personal information, coaching experience and, in an effort to protect the children, any past legal convictions in their background. VYI requires a bi-annual background check on any coaching applicant.
At any time, before, during or after the season, a coach fails to meet the standards set by VYI, the League Commissioner, at their discretion, may terminate the coach, and replace them, as necessary. If the coach believes that he/she has been unjustly removed, they have the right of appeal via VYI's dispute resolution policy. See "Parents".
The function of a coach is to encourage, develop, and educate all players participating in VYI. Skills, sportsmanship, and teamwork should be taught and promoted. Each participant or player should be treated as though he or she were the coach's own child and the welfare of the participant should be the coach's uppermost concern. To promote these ideals VYI has adopted the following Code of Conduct that all coaches must adhere to.
- The VYI coach shall be aware that he or she has a tremendous influence, for either good or ill, on the development of the participant.
- The VYI coach shall never place the value of winning above that of instilling the highest ideals of character.
- The VYI coach shall uphold the honor and dignity of the sport, organization, and league. In all personal contact with participating players, parents, coaches, officials, administrators, league officials, spectators and public.
- The VYI coach shall strive to set an example of the highest moral and ethical conduct.
- The VYI coach shall actively discourage drug, alcohol, and tobacco use.
- The VYI coach shall avoid the use of alcohol and tobacco products when in contact with players and/or using assigned facilities.
- The VYI coach shall strive to master the particular sport or activity rules and shall teach these rules to his/her team members. The coach shall not seek an advantage by circumvention of the spirit or letter of the rules.
- The VYI coach shall exert his/her influence to encourage sportsmanship by spectators.
- The VYI coach shall respect and support officials. The VYI coach shall not indulge in conduct which would incite players or spectators against the officials.
- The VYI coach shall initiate an exchange of cordial greetings between competing teams.
A VYI coach must acknowledge that he/she is an extension of the VYI organization and agree to conduct him/herself in a fashion that will bring pride to VYI. The coach must agree to abide by the Code of Conduct.